Led by Landscape Architect Robert Gilmore, GLA creates beautiful landscapes that are simple + bold.
Rob earned a Master in Landscape Architecture from Harvard's Graduate School of Design in 2002. Prior to this, while pursuing a BFA at the University of Michigan (1998) he realized that a passion for making art could be combined with a deep appreciation for the beauty and subtley of nature.
His first summer job was as an Apprentice to a Master Carpenter. There he began a life-long appreciation of craft:
"I began to develop an eye for sound structure and technique, and I was taught to have a certain respect for the material I was working with. This goes for carpentry as it does for making landscapes - with structure, technique and craft good design can be realized across landscapes of all scales"
His love of Landscape Architecture lies in the process of working closely with the Client to discover the unique voice that emerges when site opportunities and Client goals converge. He encourages the use of native plants and sustainable design practices. This approach is not just good for the environment - it keeps more money in the Owner's pockets as maintenance costs are reduced or eliminated.
Before launching GLA in 2009 Rob served as Senior Project Manager for Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates and Gregory Lombardi Design, both in Cambridge, MA, and as a landscape designer for the Olin Studio in Philadelphia, PA.
- Rob established GLA in 2009. He is the firm's lead designer, working directly with our Clients and in the field to create thriving, beautiful, low-maintenance landscapes.
- Zach grew up riding tractors and dirt bikes in the mountains of Vermont. He is GLA's Field Crew Captain and is the driving force behind our successful installations.
- Estyvens brings some muscle and some magic. Pursuing a Master's in Architecture from the Boston Architectural College, Estyvens helps keep things straight and in line.
- Mieke really gets into her work. She has a designer's eye for detail and a commitment to craft. She helps solve issues that may arise during construction with humor and grace.
- Paul leverages his business background to help ensure projects are delivered on time and on budget.
- Michael is a student of Landscape Architecture and a part-time builder of landscapes for GLA.